The IT Admin course is a follow-up to the IT Essentials course. Youth learn the structure and design of networks and internet while exploring interfaces through peripherals, operating systems and mobile application design.
Mouse has designed several courses as recommended learning sequences for groups that want to focus on competency areas that complement one another thematically. Learn more about our Mouse Courses.
Example of Ping Kong activity
Groups drawing a connected network after placing pictures of devices on a floor plan
Students using the computer to visit different website using URLs and observe differences
- Ping Kong: Pretend to be data packets traveling from a computer to the internet in a fun obstacle course!
- Network Design Challenge: Connect the dots between routers, switches, laptops, and other random devices to design a fully connected network!
- Say Yes to the IP Address: Find out how data travels to you from your favorite website by tracing its exploration through network addresses, TCP/IP, and DNS!
- I is for Input: Reflect on all ways that computers accept our input beyond keyboards and mice, then invent your own device that lets you communicate to your computer in an all new way.
- My Name is URL: Discover what happens behind your screen when you type www.something.com into your web browser.
- Learning Linux: Install and explore the Linux operating system, Ubuntu and compare to other operating systems!
- Design a Mobile App: Discover how mobile apps are designed with the sensors and hardware that give them special powers, critique your favorite apps and then design your own!
- Build an App with App Inventor: Code and test mobile apps in MIT's App Inventor 2!
On Mouse Create, youth ages 13 and older have the opportunity to earn digital badges through Credly to recognize their accomplishments, which they can share on social media networks and college applications.
Mouse Create is our online learning platform designed for young people to build the skills they need to apply design and technology creatively to the world around them. Mouse Create provides hands-on, interactive projects that include everything from web literacy and fixer skills, to innovative content areas, like circuitry, game design, coding, and green technology.