No Such Thing, Episode 40: "Sex Ed In the Digital Age”
Listen now to No Such Thing, to hear what the largest provider of SexEd, Planned Parenthood Federation, Rutgers University's "Answer," and one college senior have to say about the current state of sex education in the US.
Listen to No Such Thing: Episode 40
In this episode I'm talking with Julia Bennett, Director of Learning Strategy at Planned Parenthood Federation of America, along with Dan Rice, Director of Training for an organization called, Answer out of Rutgers University in New Jersey, and Temitayo Fagbenle, Senior, City University of NY, Queens College and soon-to-begin "Fellow" at "Nancy," a production of WNYC Studios. You may remember her from previous episodes of this show on higher education and youth radio.
If you've wondered about this intersection between technology and the sexual development of young learners, I'm with you. We tackle some big issues in this episode, and I hope also shed some light on the reality of where young people are learning sex ed, and what role adults in their lives can play.
Links from this episode:
- Planned Parenthood Federation of America: https://www.plannedparenthood.org/
- Answer: http://answer.rutgers.edu/
- Temitayo Fagbenle on Instagram and Twitter @theeetemi: https://www.wnyc.org/people/temitayo-fagbenle/
- NYC Comptroller's Report on Sex Ed: https://comptroller.nyc.gov/newsroom/comptroller-stringer-report-high-number-of-middle-and-high-school-students-arent-taught-sex-ed/
- PrEP, HIV prevention: https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/risk/prep/index.html
- Sex Etc: SexEtc.org
- Online Shaming, WNYC Radio Rookies: https://www.wnyc.org/story/261104-radio-rookies-sexual-cyberbullying/
- It's Complicated by dana boyd: https://yalebooks.yale.edu/book/9780300166316/its-complicated
About No Such Thing
The show is about learning with technology, the realities and exciting potential, but it’s also about youth and the practitioners who support them –- youth developers, museum educators, teachers, mentors, counselors, parents–as they grow their identity, and journey forward.
The show’s first episodes were produced in partnership with City University of New York's Masters Program in Youth Studies at SPS. Learn more on the School of Professional Studies website.
Shows are made possible with support from Mouse, a national youth development nonprofit that believes in technology as a force for good.
Already a subscriber? Please rate and review, and tweet the showpage —https://shows.pippa.io/nosuchthing — to your network with #nosuchthingpodcast.