The Intro to Design course gives youth the skills they need to begin creating original graphics, visual displays, animations, and models. Learners will discover the essential elements to consider when engaging in graphic and 3D design. They will also practice their skills with color wheels, layout techniques, and typefaces in order to create 3D models.
Mouse has designed several courses as recommended learning sequences for groups that want to focus on competency areas that complement one another thematically. Learn more about our Mouse Courses.
A MakerBot 3D printer
A MakerBot 3D printer and some sample objects printed
Students and Educators can work together to figure out putting together a 3D printer to understand all functions of each part
Understanding how a 3D printer work can be great group work!
Designing 3D objects online while observing how the objects are being printed gives a better visual to your design
- Basic Elements of Graphic Design: Take the first steps in designing by going through the basic thought process of a professional designer.
- Meet the Color Wheel: Learn about colors and how designers use it to attract audiences.
- Pick a Palette: Learn how to pick appropriate color schemes and how to change them on websites.
- Designing Layout: Test your skills by creating collages and learn from visiting other people's collages.
- Typography: Designing Fonts: Learn why different fonts are important in design and create your own!
- Basic Elements of 3D: Discover the basics of creating 3D models with simple shapes.
- Drawing in 3D: Learn the basics of adding the third dimension to to your 2D designs!
- Moving to the CAD World: Step into a new dimension that turns 2D shapes into digital 3D objects!
- Model Something Real in CAD: Practice your 3D design skills by creating a digital version of a real life object.
- Build a House with SketchUp: Learn to create 3D models in a more professional way using Trimble's SketchUp Make Software.
- Design a Keychain with SketchUp: Sharpen your knowledge of 3D design by creating your own object using Trimble's SketchUp Make Software.
On Mouse Create, youth ages 13 and older have the opportunity to earn digital badges through Credly to recognize their accomplishments, which they can share on social media networks and college applications.
In the News
Discover our students' 3D footprints in our Intro to Design course:
Mouse Create is our online learning platform designed for young people to build the skills they need to apply design and technology creatively to the world around them. Mouse Create provides hands-on, interactive projects that include everything from web literacy and fixer skills, to innovative content areas, like circuitry, game design, coding, and green technology.