Deadline Extended: Join Brooklyn Design League to make apps for social change!
ATTN Brooklyn High School students:
There's still space to join our Wednesday Design League program with the Brooklyn College Community Partnership to work in teams to create apps that support your community.
You can learn more about the program below, but here are some quick details:
- Meeting Time: Wednesdays from 3pm-5pm through June, some special events on weekends.
- Location: Virtually on Zoom
- Eligibility: Scroll down for eligibility details
- Flyer: Download and share this flyer with your students
- Deadline to apply: FRIDAY, 11/13
- SIGN UP: Design League Application or Email Maggie@mouse.org if you have questions.
What is Design League?
Design League is a FREE, in-depth, digital design program in which members work in teams to create a new app or website that addresses a social need using the Human-Centered Design process. Members will get hands-on experience in every stage of digital design, from user interviews and research to UX/UI design, prototyping, graphic design, and coding, to branding and pitching their projects with professional guidance from industry experts along the way.
Students will come away from Design League with a digital product that can be added to resumes, digital portfolios, and college applications. Design League is meant to be an inclusive space where students learn by doing and trying new things.
Brooklyn Design League meets Wednesdays throughout the school year with our partners at the Brooklyn College Community Partnership.
Watch an Infosession about Design League:
This month, we hosted an information session for students interested in joining. If you missed it, you can watch a recording here:
Benefits of Joining
- Learn the app development process from start to finish using the Human-Centered Design process: A popular tool used across the tech world, from computer science to product design.
- Create a meaningful digital product, such as an app or website, from the ground up designed to help others in your community.
- Develop skills in UX/UI design, graphic design, coding, entrepreneurship and design thinking, and explore other hands-on digital tools in VR/AR, 3D design, more.
- Interact with professional design and project management tools such as Figma, Glitch and more.
- Collaborate with peers and professionals in the field as you learn how to work as part of a design team.
- Gain valuable portfolio building experience, workplace skills and greater knowledge of career pathways in the technology and design fields.
- Build self confidence and leadership skills
- Share your product with the world at professional and competitive events.
- Must be in 9th-12th grade
- Must live in Brooklyn
- Must have access to the internet
- Our program meets virtually, once a week from November through the end of the school year. We ask that all participants commit to being a part of the program through the end of the year, and maintain a good attendance record.
- NO previous experience in coding or design is needed! Just an interest in designing digital products and/or contributing something positive to the community.
Apply before Friday, 11/13
Email Maggie@mouse.org if you have any questions or issues.